Kingdoms Before the Greater Mauryan Empire in Magadha
There were 3 important dynasties evolved from Janapadas to Mahajanapadas after the harrapan civilizations post aryan migration in Magadha.
– Magadha was the important power centre for the Mahajanapadas.
They were as follows
Haryanka Dynasty (560 – 413 BC):
– Bimbisara (544 – 492 BC)
– Ajatashatru (Killed his father to ascend the throne , First Buddhist Council was held under his patronage) (492 – 460 BC)
– Udayin/Udayabhadra (460 – 444 BC)
Shishunga Dynasty (413 – 345 BC):
– Shinshunga (Defeated Udayin to create his own dynasty)
– Kalashoka (Second Buddhist council was held under his patronage)
Nanda Dynasty (345 – 321 BC):
– Mahapadma Nanda (Born to Kshatriya and a Shudra Woman , Known as the second Parashurama as he Vanquished lot of Dynasties like Ikshavakhu , Kuru , Yadu , Shishunga and was a powerful king ruled over the magadha)
– Dhana Nanda (During his time battle of Jhelum (Hydapses) occured , Defeated by Chandragupta maurya and chankaya (kautilya , former prime minister of Nanda Kingdom).