- Hikikomori is a phenomenon in Japan where an estimated 1.5 million working-age people are living in isolation and avoiding social contact.
- It is not recognized as a clinical diagnosis but rather a social phenomenon.
What are the Causes of Hikikomori?
- There are several factors that contribute to its high prevalence. They are
- Japan’s highly competitive education system,
- Extreme academic pressure and work culture.
What is the treatment of Hikikomori?
- Generally psychotherapeutic rather than drug-based, requiring family support, individual or group therapy, and a healthcare practitioner, hosting social gatherings in the metaverse.