- Marcha rice is a short indigenous cultivar of rice found in the West Champaran district of Bihar.
- It is also known as Mircha, Marchaiya, Marichaetc locally.
- The size and shape of the grain appear like that of black pepper.
- Hence, it is known as Mircha or Marcha Rice.
- The grains and flakes of this rice have a unique popcorn-like aroma that makes it different.
- The cooked rice is fluffy, non-sticky, sweet and easily digestible.
Latest news about Marcha rice
- 17 April 2023:
- ‘Mircha’ rice of Bihar’s West Champaran gets GI tag.
- An application for a GI tag was submitted on behalf of Marcha Dhan Utpadak Pragatisheel Samuh, a registered organization of paddy cultivators.