- A strait is a narrow piece of the sea connecting two seas.
- Most commonly, it is a narrow ocean channel that lies between two land masses.
- The main characteristics of a strait are
- Formed by natural processes.
- Narrower than the seas it connects, and
- The Bosphorus Strait is the smallest strait in the world.
- The narrowest point width is 800m.
- It separates the Black Sea from the Marmara Sea.
- The Malacca Strait is the largest strait in the world
- It is located between the Malay Peninsula and the Indonesian island of Sumatra.
- It is 800 km long.
- They play an important role in economic and military matters to this day.
Latest News about Straits
- 12 April 2023:
- Seventy-one Chinese military aircraft crossed the sensitive median line of the Taiwan Strait recently as China began drills around Taiwan.