- The Gonds are one of the largest tribal Communities in India and can be traced to the pre-Aryan era.
- They are a heterogeneous group spreading over large areas from the Godavari Gorges in the south to the Vindhya Mountains in the north.
- The majority speak various mutually unintelligible dialects of Gondi.
- The Gondi belongs to the Dravidian language family.
- It is claimed to be closely related to the Telugu language.
- The word Gond comes from Konda, which means mountains in Telugu.
- They live in the states of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, and Odisha.
- They are famous for their paintings called Gond Paintings.
- 17 April 2023:
- Recently, the famous Gond painting of Madhya Pradesh has received the prestigious Geographical Indication (GI) tag.