- A tropical cyclone is a rapidly rotating storm system.
- It is characterized by a low-pressure centre, strong winds, closed low-level atmospheric circulation and a spiral arrangement of thunderstorms producing heavy rain.
- Based on location and strength, a tropical cyclone is referred to by different names like a hurricane, typhoon, tropical storm, tropical depression, cyclonic storm or cyclone.
- Hurricane is a tropical cyclone occurring in the Atlantic Ocean and the northeastern Pacific Ocean.
- Typhoon occurs in the north-western Pacific Ocean.