- Wetland is transitional land between terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems where the water table is usually at the near-surface or it may be land covered by shallow water.
- It support rich biodiversity and provide a wide range of ecosystem services such as water storage and purification, flood mitigation, erosion control, aquifer recharge etc.
- In India, there are 115 wetlands officially identified by Central Government.
- Out of these, 26 have been identified as wetlands of international importance under the Ramsar Convention designated as Ramsar sites.
Latest News about Wetlands:
- Recently, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed Delhi and Haryana to enforce the Environment Management Plans (EMP) that the two governments have prepared for the rejuvenation and protection of the Najafgarh jheel, a transboundary wetland.