WhatsApp is the most popular mobile messaging app worldwide. It is an American instant messaging (IM) and voice-over-IP (VoIP) service. It is owned by Meta Platforms.
It allows users to send text messages and voice messages, make voice and video calls, and share images, documents, user locations, and other content.
The application runs on mobile devices but is also accessible from desktop computers.
- It was founded in 2009 by Brian Acton and Jan Koum, former Yahoo! employees.
- In 2013, Google offered $10 billion for its ownership rights. The creators refused the offer.
- In 2014, Facebook bought the app at a whopping $19 billion
Interesting Facts about Whatsapp
- It has close to half a billion users in India.
- About 100 billion messages are sent daily on the platform.
- Whatsapp adopts 500 villages in India to promote digital payments.
- It is aimed at empowering villagers with access to digital payments through ‘payments on WhatsApp.
- The announcement was made at Fuel For India 2021 – Meta’s annual event in India.