- Mahanadi River has its source in Dandakaranya near Sihawa in the Raipur district of Chhattisgarh.
- Its upper course lies in the saucer-shaped basin called the ‘Chhattisgarh Plains’.
- It is one of the East Flowing Rivers in the country.
- It is the third largest river in peninsular India after Godavari and Krishna.
- It is the largest river in Odisha state.
- The Seonath, the Hasdeo, the Mand and the Ib join Mahanadi from the left whereas the Ong, the Tel and the Jonk join it from the right.
- Hirakud Dam is built on this river.
- Ravishankar Sagar, Dudhawa Reservoir, Sondur Reservoir, Hasdeo Bango and Tandula are other major projects.