- STOBAR Mechanism short for short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery Mechanism.
- It combines elements of vertical landing and short take-off.
- It is a system used to launch and recover an aircraft from an aircraft carrier.
- These systems are simpler to build as compared to that CATOBAR.
- Also, it is less expensive.
- The major limitation of STOBAR is that it works only with fighter aircraft that have a high thrust-to-weight ratio.
- Some of the fighter jets with a high thrust-to-weight ratio are MiG-29K and Su-33.
- 02 September 2022: Prime Minister Narendra Modi commissioned India’s first indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier INS Vikrant, which works on STOBAR Mechanism.